When to contact the IRS

There are a variety of reasons why you may need to get in touch with the IRS. You may want to contact the IRS if you need to help with responding to an IRS notice, resolving a tax dispute, settling tax debt, or checking the status of your tax refund. Fortunately, there are many different ways to contact the IRS. Below are links to information on how to contact the IRS for specific issues and IRS hotlines.

Specific Issues:

Call the IRS With Your Tax Questions 

Live assistance is available Monday through Friday. There is also a 24 hour recorded assistance line for your convenience. 

Contact Your Local IRS Office 

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers for when you believe your tax issue is best handled with an IRS agent face-to-face. Hours of service and other local information is provided on a per state basis.

IRS Mailing Address (“Where to File”) 

For those who don’t file their federal tax returns electronically, the “Where to File” pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate “Where to File” address for other written correspondence with the IRS.

Contact the IRS for Status of your Refund 

Want to check on the status of your refund? You can check online with the Where’s My Refund application, or call 1-866-258-0008. (Please wait at least four weeks before calling.)

Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service 

If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

How to make a Voluntary Disclosure

Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should come in through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.

Contact Your Local IRS Office Internationally 

International Services: IRS contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.

Suspicious IRS e-Mails and Identity Theft 

The IRS does not send out unsolicited e-mails asking for personal information. An electronic mailbox has been established for you to report suspicious e-mails claiming to have been sent by the IRS. 

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity? 

If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity.

HELP with the IRS.gov Website 

If you need help finding something on the site, understanding our different file formats, printing files you’ve downloaded, installing or using the tax products CD-ROM, or any similar technical problem here is the place to seek assistance.

Send the IRS Comments and Feedback by E-mail 

This is NOT the place for tax law questions or questions regarding your specific tax return, but you can give us some constructive feedback regarding the website if you like. Give us your email address if you want a response, but don’t include any social security numbers or other personal tax account information.


IRS Hotlines:

• Tax Help Line for Individuals: 800-829-1040
• Tax Help Line for Businesses: 800-829-4933
• Order Tax Forms and Publications: 800-829-3676
• Information Return Reporting: 866-455-7438
• Employer Identification Numbers (EINs): 800-829-4933
• Help Line for Tax Exempt and Government Entities (TEGE): 877-829-5500
• Help Line for Forms 706 and 709: 866-699-4083
• Help Line for Excise Tax and Form 2290: 866-699-4096
• Help Line for FBAR and Title 31: 866-270-0733
• Special Hotline for U.S. Military (Disaster or Combat Zone): 866-562-5227
• Telephone Assistance for Overseas Taxpayers: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
• Telephone Assistance for the Deaf (TDD): 800-829-4059

See If You Qualify in Minutes

If you are considering applying to the IRS Fresh Start Program, let our experts guide you through the processes. Give us a call at 866-258-0008 or submit your application below.